As the weather gets cooler and the holiday season approaches, many families are looking to give meaningful gifts to their loved ones. This is a wonderful opportunity to incorporate creative projects into your homeschooling!
Two gifts our family has been creating each year are beeswax candles and orange & cinnamon stick ornaments. We add a tag with our favorite holiday poems or song lyrics for a lovely touch! This tradition brings our family together, fosters creativity, and reminds us all of the joy giving brings!
A pair of beeswax candles wrapped in parchment paper and tied with twine is the perfect gift to ensure a cozy holiday season!
You may be interested in buying a kit that includes beeswax sheets and cotton wick.
- Beeswax Sheets (available at your local craft store or online)
- Wick (Cotton)
- A craft mat or cutting board
- Sharp Knife
- Brown Parchment Paper
- If your beeswax sheets are long, place them on a cutting board or craft mat and cut them into two pieces, about 8”x 8”.
- Cut a piece of wick ½” longer than each beeswax sheet.
- Lay the wick along the edge of your beeswax sheet. Fold over ⅛” of the wax and press down to seal in your wick.
- Gently begin rolling the candle away from you, making sure both ends of the candle are even. Once you reach the end of your sheet, gently press to seal your candle. Repeat the process. This may take a bit of patience, but the end result is always beautiful!
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to about 10” long. Fold up one corner and lay two candles, wick side out. Roll the candles up and finish with a bow of twine.
Orange & Cinnamon Stick Ornaments
These naturally fragrant ornaments will bring holiday cheer to any home! We can never get enough of the warm orange aroma as the slices dry in the oven. We use one orange slice and one cinnamon stick per ornament, but feel free to allow your children to get creative with their designs!
- Oven-Safe Rack
- Baking Sheet
- Whole Cinnamon Sticks
- Twine or Colorful String
- Essential Oils - Wild Orange or Cinnamon Bark (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the oranges into slices ¼” thick.
- Place the oven-safe rack on top of your baking sheet. Lay the orange slices on top of the rack.
- Bake in the oven for 5-6 hours, flipping over once about halfway through the process. Keep a close eye on the oranges as you get closer to the end of the baking time.
- Allow the oranges to cool completely. If you would like to enhance the fragrance of your ornaments, add a drop of essential oil to each slice as they cool.
- Take an orange slice, and make a small hole with the toothpick near the top of one wedge but below the rind.
- Feed a 16” piece of twine or string through the hole. Pull through, so you have an equal amount of twine on both sides. Tie a knot to secure the twine to the orange slice.
- Next, place a cinnamon stick on top of the knot and double-tie. Leave a hole to hang your ornament and tie it again.
We hope your family enjoys crafting heartfelt presents this holiday season!
By Brittany Young | The Roost at Wolf Pine